Blog Background

Saturday, July 25, 2009

So, there IS such thing as a free lunch?

Unreal. We met a friend for a play date recently at the Jessamine Early Learning Village playground here in Wilmore. Around 11:30 A.M., a lady entered the pavilion and started setting up some food. My friend informed me that every week day until the end of July, children under the age of 18 could come between 11:45 and 12:45 and receive a free lunch. No joke! This town is full of little surprises like that. It's like God just throws little prizes at us every once in a while that are so unexpected. Evidently, the Learning Village has a government grant because of the amount of free lunches that they serve during the school year. So basically, the gvt. pays for free lunches to continue throughout the summer, too. You just basically show up with your children, and they are served! No questions even asked!!!!! The lady there said that over the past wk they had served 20 ish kids during the day--I guess numbers had dwindled in July. Crazy! Needless to say, Jon David, Luke and I stayed. In their lunches was a PB and J uncrustable, a fruit cup, chips of their choice, a cheese stick, baby carrots, crackers, a cookie, and their choice of juice or milk or chocolate milk--sorry for the extensive menu. I just couldn't get over it, as you can see.
Now, I realize that technically, the lunch is not free. I know that taxes pay for this. But I gotta tell ya, it's nice to be on the receiving end. It's interesting to be on the other side of government programs. I've never been big into politics, but I'm thankful for what we are benefitting from right now.

What else? Well, I'll be 35 wks on Monday... hard to believe. My belly is starting to feel a little cumbersome. I cleaned one of our bathrooms today, and let's just say that the tub was definitely more of a challenge than it normally is. Gestational diabetes has not turned out to be that big of a deal, thankfully. I have gotten used to it--more or less. I still have my moments, though, like when I drive by Bruster's... or Dairy Queen, or the other day at Panera Bread when Don was eating a chocolate croissant, and the boys were boys eating chocolate chip cookies... Yea, that was a hard one.

Today, Don said "Jon David, your attitude stinks." Jon David retorted (and yes, he was being sassy) "I don't smell anything." Wendy, I think Don's "better than being a dumb alec" (sp?) quote has finally come back to bite him...

We are staying busy with Don's school, the boys' swim lessons, and getting settled into the new house--which we really like!! Hopefully, we will tackle the baby's room soon. Don has also kept busy helping one of his friends out with youth week at his church.

I have to throw in a quick blurb about the weather, too. I don't think the temperature has gotten above mid 80s since we have been back from Georgia. In fact, Wed of this wk, it rained, and we went with Don to the youth even that night. We were in an outside, covered pavilion. I had on a T-shirt, capris, my poncho, and Don's rain coat over mine, and I was still cold. COLD!!! Yes, you read correctly! I think the temp dipped under 70! It was probably 7 P.M. ish. Ha! Yes, swim lessons were canceled. There is a part of me that is very annoyed that we are not able to enjoy going to the pool ALL the time, and that the boys shiver their little backs and booties off during their evening swim lessons sitting on the edge of the pool. However, how perfect is it that this "unusual Kentucky summer" (according to the locals) happened to arrive during the one summer of my entire life when I am pregnant! Thank you, Lord! Again, another unexpected blessing. I need to work on being more grateful, and less whiny. I'm just such a sucker when my kids don't seem perfectly content... Yea, I know, I need to get over it. :)
OK, another interesting aside: When we first moved to CO, we proceeded to have the worst winter that they had had in years and years (we had several crazy blizards back to back, and snow fall reached record levels). So we move to KY at the end of Jan of this yr. in a snow and ice storm: same thing. Everyone says "oh, this is the worst winter we have had in years!" And now the summer... And I have also heard that we may be in for another bad winter. Oh well, only God knows. But all I gotta say is, wherever we move next, watch out! On the bright side, if we move to FL, maybe you guys would be in for a nice break from the heat! :)

Well, I'm not used to posting w/o pics. I figure a sabatical might not be bad, since I have a sneaking suspicion that in a little over a month, we might be flooding blog posts with pics again. I can't imagine why? ...

Later!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see pics of that new baby boy... better yet, I can't wait to see him in person! That's so cool about the free lunch thing. You gotta love those little surprise blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Labels

My Blog List